If you’re looking for an easy-to-make, yet still flavorful dish that will fill your kitchen with a Caribbean flavor, then look no further than this Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker! This classic entrees uses an array of tasty spices and herbs to infuse the oxtails in a mouthwatering sauce that is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Plus, by using a slow cooker you can let the dish do all the work as it slowly cooks away while releasing its delightful aromas throughout your home. So grab your favorite ingredients and join us on this culinary voyage through Jamaica, let’s get started.
- 1 What Is Jamaican Oxtail?
- 2 What Is Slow Cooker?
- 3 Gather The Ingredients Of Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker Recipe
- 4 How Long Does It Take To Cook Jamaican Oxtails In A Slow Cooker?
- 5 How To Make Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker?
- 6 Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker Tips
- 7 How Can I Tell When The Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker Are Done?
- 8 How To Serve Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker?
- 9 How To Store Leftover Jamaican Oxtails Cooked In A Slow Cooker?
- 10 Conclusion: Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker
- 11 FAQ Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker
- 11.1 Can you put Jamaican oxtail in a slow cooker?
- 11.2 Can I freeze leftovers of Jamaican oxtails cooked in a slow cooker?
- 11.3 Is it possible to cook Jamaican oxtails in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot?
- 11.4 How can I make Jamaican oxtails stay tender while cooking in a slow cooker?
- 11.5 How much broth should I add to the slow cooker for Jamaican oxtails?
- 11.6 What vegetables can I add to the slow cooker to make Jamaican oxtails?
- 11.7 What does Jamaican oxtail taste like?
- 11.8 Are there any side dishes that go well with Jamaican oxtails?
- 11.9 Are there any health benefits to eating Jamaican oxtails?
- 11.10 Is it necessary to brown the oxtails before putting them in the slow cooker?
What Is Jamaican Oxtail?
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s first discuss what Jamaican oxtail actually is. Oxtail is a culinary term for the tail of a cow, and in Jamaica, it is considered to be one of the most prized cuts of meat. It is typically slow-cooked until tender and falls off the bone.
What Is Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker, also known as a crockpot, is a kitchen appliance that is used to cook food at a low temperature for an extended period of time. It is perfect for dishes like Jamaican oxtails because it allows the meat to become tender and develop its flavors without needing constant attention.
Gather The Ingredients Of Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker Recipe
To make Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker, you will need a couple of key ingredients:
- 3 pounds oxtails
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
How Long Does It Take To Cook Jamaican Oxtails In A Slow Cooker?
The beauty of using a slow cooker is that you can let it cook for an extended period of time without having to constantly monitor it. For Jamaican oxtails, it typically takes about 6-8 hours on low heat or 3-4 hours on high heat for the meat to become tender and develop its flavors.
How To Make Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker?
- Start by seasoning the oxtails generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and add the oxtails, browning them on all sides for about 3-4 minutes.
- Once browned, remove the oxtails from the pan and place them in your slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onions and minced garlic, cooking until softened.
- Add in the dried thyme and allspice, stirring for about a minute to release their flavors.
- Pour in the soy sauce and brown sugar, stirring until well combined.
- Pour this mixture over the oxtails in your slow cooker.
- Set your slow cooker on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- Once the oxtails are tender and falling off the bone, remove them from the slow cooker and let them rest for a few minutes.
Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker Tips
- For maximum flavor, season the oxtails with salt and pepper before browning them.
- Browning the oxtails before adding them to the slow cooker helps seal in their juices and enhances their overall flavor.
- Don’t skip on the aromatics – onions, garlic, thyme, and allspice are essential for creating that authentic Jamaican flavor.
- For a thicker sauce, you can remove the oxtails from the slow cooker and simmer the sauce on the stovetop until it thickens.
- Serve your Jamaican oxtails with traditional Caribbean sides like rice and peas or plantains for a complete meal.
How Can I Tell When The Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker Are Done?
The best way to check if the oxtails are done is by using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Alternatively, you can also gently pull on the meat with a fork – if it easily falls off the bone, then it’s ready.
How To Serve Jamaican Oxtails Slow Cooker?
Once the oxtails are done, you can serve them directly from the slow cooker or transfer them to a serving dish. Make sure to spoon some of the delicious sauce over the oxtails and garnish with fresh parsley for an added pop of color and freshness. This dish pairs well with rice, noodles, or even just a simple green salad. Read more at houseofsiamboston.com.
How To Store Leftover Jamaican Oxtails Cooked In A Slow Cooker?
If you happen to have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, place the oxtails in a pot with some of the leftover sauce and gently warm over low heat until heated through. You can also freeze the oxtails for up to 3 months – when ready to eat, simply thaw in the refrigerator and reheat as directed.
Conclusion: Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker
There you have it, a Recipe For Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker that is sure to become a family favorite. With its rich flavors and tender meat, this dish is perfect for any occasion – from weeknight dinners to special gatherings. So don’t wait any longer, grab your slow cooker and get ready to indulge in the delicious flavors of Jamaica. Happy cooking! So why wait? Grab your slow cooker and let’s start cooking! Enjoy your Jamaican oxtails with family and friends, and let them savor the unique flavors of the Caribbean.
FAQ Jamaican Oxtails Easy Slow Cooker
Can you put Jamaican oxtail in a slow cooker?
Deliciously tender Jamaican oxtails cooked to perfection in just 8 hours! Let the crock pot work its magic by rendering fat and transforming tough meat into a mouthwatering dish. Short on time? No problem! Achieve amazing results by cooking on High for 4 hours.
Can I freeze leftovers of Jamaican oxtails cooked in a slow cooker?
Preserve and Enjoy: Freeze your oxtails in a convenient container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop for the most delicious leftovers.
Is it possible to cook Jamaican oxtails in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot?
Indulge in the ultimate Caribbean delicacy with our Jamaican Oxtails recipe. This mouthwatering stew features succulent oxtail and butter beans cooked to absolute perfection. Whether you prefer the convenience of an Instant Pot or electric Pressure Cooker, or enjoy the slow and steady approach of a stove top or slow cooker, we’ve got you covered. Prepare to be transported to the sunny beaches of Jamaica with every savory bite.
How can I make Jamaican oxtails stay tender while cooking in a slow cooker?
Achieve amazing flavor by browning the oxtail, then add a splash of beef broth to deglaze the skillet. Soften the onions and carrots in the same skillet before transferring everything to the slow cooker. Don’t forget to add all the remaining ingredients, except the butter beans. Let it cook on low heat for 8-10 hours until the oxtail is beautifully tender.
How much broth should I add to the slow cooker for Jamaican oxtails?
Quickly create a savory broth by boiling 2 cups of beef broth in a pan. Don’t forget to scrape off the delicious brown bits from the bottom! Next, transfer the flavorful oxtails to a slow cooker. Complete the dish by adding carrots, sauteed onions, and a touch of heat with the Scotch bonnet pepper.
What vegetables can I add to the slow cooker to make Jamaican oxtails?
Upgrade your stew game with this flavorful and tender oxtail recipe. Simply sauté onions and carrots until soft, then transfer them to a slow cooker along with all the other ingredients (except the butter beans). Let it simmer on low heat for 8-10 hours, and voila! Enjoy the melt-in-your-mouth goodness of perfectly cooked oxtail at its best.
What does Jamaican oxtail taste like?
Indulge in the mouthwatering taste of seasoned oxtail cooked to perfection with a medley of spices and aromatic ingredients. Prepare to be blown away by the explosion of bold flavors and a tantalizing kick of spice in every bite.
Are there any side dishes that go well with Jamaican oxtails?
Discover the perfect pairings for oxtails! Here are seven delectable side dishes to enhance your meal:
1 – Steamed White Rice
2 – Refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad
3 – Crusty French Baguette
4 – Garlicky Green Beans
5 – Creamy Mashed Potatoes
6 – Flavorful Buttered Noodles with Herbs
7 – Zesty Steamed Broccoli with Lemon.
Are there any health benefits to eating Jamaican oxtails?
Boost your body’s growth and repair with collagen-rich oxtail! This fatty delight is a perfect energy source for those following a Ketogenic, Paleo, or Carnivore Diet.
Is it necessary to brown the oxtails before putting them in the slow cooker?
If you don’t have 8 hours to spare, cook it on High for 4 hours. Do you have to brown oxtails before you cook them? Technically, no, but it makes a big difference in the final texture and flavor of the meat.
Chef Joe has been cooking up Thai cuisine in the South End of Boston for over a decade. He is the owner and head chef of House of Siam, where he strives to use only the freshest, finest ingredients in all his dishes. Chef Joe’s food is flavorful and exciting, and it always satisfies his customers’ cravings for delicious Thai food.